What we are working on for 2019
Cabbagetown South with Councillor Wong-Tam – May 2019
An Active Voice in the Community
CSRA members dedicated their time to participate in a number of important and ongoing meetings with organizations that operate in Cabbagetown South, as well as neighbouring community groups in 2019. They include:
- Community Police Liaison Committee (CPLC), 51 Division
- Monthly Meeting Meetings at City Hall with Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam
- Oben Flats Re-Development (Sherboune & Gerrard) – Attended Site Plan Meeting with Councilor Wong Tam
- Organized all three level of governments meeting at City Hall with MP Mornueu, MPP Suze Morrison, Mayor Tory, Councillor Wong-Tam, city staff and local social services.
- Cabbagetown Heritage Conservation District Committee
- Margaret’s on Dundas – Community Engagement Advisory Meetings
- Neighbouring Groups – Cabbagetown Residents Association, Cabbagetown BIA, Garden District Residents Association and Winchester Residents Association
What we are working on for 2017
Cabbagetown South Safe Laneways Project
The idea is to see if there are ways we can change the design and function of our laneways to help deter unwanted behaviour. We need to take back our laneways by creating spaces that are attractive and safe for area residents to walk, ride bicycles, park their vehicles, play with their kids, exercise their dogs etc..
Beer Store Re-Development
An application is currently being put forward to construct a mid-rise condominium at 227 Gerrard Street East, a lot currently occupied by the Beer Store retailer. The applicant is requesting an amendment to the current by-law to permit an eight storey mid-rise building, fronting onto the south side of Gerrard Street East, and stepping down to the south containing 99 residential units and approximately 715 square meters of retail space.
TDSB considering Elementary School for the Arts
In 2016 area residents approached our School Trustee Chris Moise and the Toronto District School Board about the feasibility of establishing an arts focused middle school (Grades 6-8) within Toronto Centre-Rosedale.